Re: [platform-dev] Github workflow

Andrey,

I am pretty sure all of this can be done with github, but requires writing bots to handle it.

For example, we could make it so only bot has write access under normal circumstances and instead of pressing "merge" in github ui a committer adds an /approve comment. That bot can do things like squash and merge, and add extra headers to the commit message like Gerrit does today. (a bot like this often can be configured to wait for tests to complete and then do the merge automatically)

There may be such bot already that can be reused. Kubernates has a really nice and complex bot that fixes many of the issues with github's default flow for their use.

The k8s PR document is quite complete for their flow https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/contributors/guide/pull-requests.md

Here is the commands to the bot https://prow.k8s.io/command-help

While I believe it is true that committers/contributors can "just do it" with github, many large and successful projects on github add significantly to the default github experience.

Try searching for "github merge bot" to see how many other people have attacked this problem.

I am glad to see such a discussion happening here. There is indeed no one "correct" way to use Github and having a contributor guide that addresses these and other questions is good for the community.

Jonah