Re: [jetty-users] SolrJ/Solr: HTTP protocol violation: Authentication challenge without WWW-Authenticate header

On 6/1/23 13:25, Jesse McConnell wrote:
Friction points between Jetty and Solr on the server side are possible or, more likely, an issue with the client.  With Jetty, it is never a good idea to double configuration values and see what happens, especially regarding HTTP configurations. You can bump header buffer sizes easily, but thread counts and pools should only be raised based on careful analysis and measurements.

There are only two things I change from whatever SolrJ does by default: I set it to use http/1.1, and add basic authentication credentials. This is done with SolrJ methods ... I do not create or access the Jetty client directly. No other client settings, including thread counts, have been touched.

I have asked SolrJ to always send POST requests, so I think the http header buffer size is unlikely to be the problem. But maybe I am wrong.

I am using the latest SolrJ - 9.2.1. This pulls in Jetty Client version 10.0.13. I have also tried upgrading all the Jetty dependencies to 10.0.15 and there was no change.

At some point Solr is likely upgrading both the Jetty client and server beyond version 10, but I do not know when that is going to happen. Should we skip 11 and go straight to 12, if a stable 12 version is available in time?

I am a committer on the Solr project, but I wasn't involved in creating new SolrJ clients that use the Jetty client. Every time I have tried to mess with upgrading jetty versions, I quickly get into problems that I cannot solve.

I really suspect that the older 9.4.48 Jetty server is having problems that have been fixed in later versions ... and that it is possible that it's a problem created by how Solr uses Jetty. I don't have the knowledge required to look deeper into it. I gathered that debug log that I included earlier in the thread, but don't know what to look for, and don't know whether it even has what's needed to troubleshoot.

I do not know how much of Solr's code is generic webapp and how much is specific to Jetty. We ditched the notion of a generic .war file or extracted webapp quite a while back, and only support running Solr in the included scripting which uses Jetty.

Thanks,
Shawn

Back to the top