Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Oracle's position on Jakarta EE 9

Hello

I think JAX-WS needs to be inside the Jakarta EE spec as SOAP spec this spec is the foundation of microservices architecture if Jakarta EE spec wants to evolve and become a cloud-native spec we need to avoid remove specs that are very mature and are the heart of services architecture.

IMHO

Best

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:20 AM Erik Brangs <erik.brangs@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 04.10.2019 02:02, Bill Shannon wrote:
> It's not in Jakarta EE.  Read the spec.

I suppose you could say that JAX-WS is a Java SE specification and therefore not part of Jakarta EE.

However, JAX-WS is part of the full Jakarta EE 8 platform.

I looked at https://jakarta.ee/specifications/platform/8/platform-spec-8.pdf . I'm basing my view on the following sections:
- section 2.7.15 "Web Services" from " Jakarta EE Standard Services" lists JAX-WS but it doesn't say it's optional
- section 6.1.2 "Required Java Technologies" lists "Jakarta Enterprise Web Services 1.4" as required
- section 9.7 "Full Jakarta™ EE Product Requirements" says that "Jakarta Enterprise Web Services 1.4" is part of the full requirements

The way I'm reading section 6.1.3. "Pruned Java Technologies", technologies are pruned from the Jakarta EE platform. So I'm looking at whether a technology is part of the full platform.

Kind regards,

Erik Brangs