Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] VOTE: Specifications to add in Jakarta EE 9

It is an acknowledgement that although the spec is largely a legacy spec, there are changes that are needed to facilitate usage of the spec going forward, but it should not be required. The reality is that our customers using JSR-109 will not want to modify their code to run under our EE 9 container, so it is mostly about enabling a porting layer to deal with only one JAXB implementation + whatever other changes are needed to support the backwards compatibility use case.

On Nov 22, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How is "optional" different from "not added"?

What can I do with an optional spec vs. a spec that exists but is not included in Jakarta EE?

Steve Millidge (Payara) wrote on 11/22/19 10:36 AM:
Perhaps we need to kick off a vote on JAX-WS, it could be optional? Adding it as optional will still mean the project will have to do a release so will likely impact timelines.

From: jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Kevin Sutter
Sent: 21 November 2019 14:08
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] VOTE: Specifications to add in Jakarta EE 9

Scott,
This is exactly what we're struggling with in our discussions at IBM.  We have many existing JAX-WS customers.  So, if we move JAXB to the jakarta namespace, but not JAX-WS, then we will have two different JAXB APIs to support.  But, we also recognize that JAX-WS is a legacy technology that probably shouldn't be part of the long term plans for Jakarta.

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect
e-mail:  sutter@xxxxxxxxxx     Twitter:  @kwsutter
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: