[jakartaee-platform-dev] Request early guesstimates for Jakarta EE 9 effort

Hi,
As we are attempting to figure out the content for Jakarta EE 9, we are also interested in figuring out a doable date for delivering Jakarta EE 9.  Many of the work items required for Jakarta EE 9 are already known and understood.  There are still some outliers that need to be fleshed out, but the majority of the core content is known.

To that end, we would like to start gathering information on the doability of the various required tasks.
  • Some of the Jakarta EE components have their Specification source from Oracle and have started "Jakarta-izing" the Spec, much like we did for the Platform and Web Profile specs in Jakarta EE 8.
  • Each Jakarta EE component will need to rev their Specifications, APIs, TCKs, and Compatible Implementations for the jakarta namespace change.
  • One of the key deliverables is posting the updated APIs to the Maven Staging Repository.  This allows other dependent components to pull in these changes as they attempt to build and test their changes.
  • Another key deliverable is the associated Compatible Implementation, which is required to demonstrate that the Spec, API, and TCK can be implemented and tested.
  • Once all of the pieces are complete, then we need to start the official ballots to release the Specification Project artifacts.  (Technically, we also need a Plan Review, but let's focus on the content delivery date for this exercise.)

As a reminder, the Jakarta EE Specification Process is documented here:  https://jakarta.ee/about/jesp/, which is built upon the Eclipse Foundation Specification Process:  https://www.eclipse.org/projects/efsp?version=1.2

Just to start the conversation, I've thrown together a strawman proposal spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN5UEzxFV1Buk7yqdQAweaynWJ3UNn2BjN7blXn9vh4/edit?usp=sharing

The idea of this spreadsheet is to gather data from the projects doing the real work.  If you update the spreadsheet with dates, please include your name and email contact in Column C.  If you need to provide any additional information or justification, please use the comment feature for the individual cell.  Each of the top level columns has some hover help text to help explain what we're looking for.

I also put out some strawman dates...  Discussions on various mailing lists have indicated that this Jakarta EE 9 release should come out quickly.  Since we're looking for an early Jakarta EE 9 release date, I put a line in the sand for the Jakarta EE Platform ballots starting the first week of April.  Depending on the Projects' input, this may be aggressive, or maybe it's too lenient?  This is where we're looking for input.

Also, I am sending this request to the Platform and Spec Project Leads mailing Lists.  I'm trying to target the people that feel responsible for delivering the Jakarta EE component artifacts for Jakarta EE 9.  If you need to share and discuss this request with others that are not on these lists, feel free to do so.  As we work through the work items required to deliver Jakarta EE 9, I would expect the majority of our conversations will happen via these two mailing lists.

We'll talk about this at tomorrow's (11/26) Platform Call:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src="">

Also, this spreadsheet is being used just to gather some preliminary data.  We're planning to use something like github milestones and/or projects for tracking the overall Jakarta EE 9 delivery.  But, we need to start somewhere to get some data for the Dec 9 comeback to the Steering Committee.

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: