Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
Re: [tycho-dev] Tycho 3.0 release

Mickael asked me why tie so deeply with Platform releases and esp with P2 removing Pack200 support and I have to admit that I'm too mindwashed and aligning everything with Eclipse Platform releases just became second nature to me :).
So all the possible timelines I've given could probably be way shorter and 3.0 be released really sooner aka when we decide on the breaking items to deliver for 3.0 and do them . If landing them is done on tight schedule we should be able to not disturb releases with the latest Platform bits.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 12:34 PM Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 12:24 PM Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would add say the following should considered breaking:

- changing the java version to run the build
- requiring a new minimum maven version (e.g. once we require maven 4)
- requiring to change their pom.xml in a non trivial way (e.g. beside
changing some configuration value in an existing mojo)

I agree with this view. And I would like to see Tycho 3.0 requiring Java 17 at runtime .
So I repeat my proposal - work on 3.0 branch for any such change now if needed although some of the deletions (e.g. pack200) can happen easily once 3.0 branch is merged in master. Which should happen after Tycho 2.x release based 2022-03, I can't say right now what fixes (if any!) will land in p2/ecj but I expect at least some PGP related changes and Probably Java-18 target support (but not producing Java 18 bytecode) being added by that time. These could happen to be critical for projects willing to go more the PGP way and/or just being able to build running Java 18 thus I consider them important for regular releases.

I think everything listed under milestone 3.0 is a breaking change,
maybe the fixSWT could be considered as non breaking) one.

Am 07.01.22 um 11:18 schrieb Mickael Istria:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 11:16 AM Christoph Läubrich
> <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>     I can't remember the original bug that complained about missing support
>     for mixed-reactors but it must be > 4 years now, people can wait some
>     more for an official release (or help getting things done faster ...)
>     and using snapshots as well ;-)
> Maybe, but for PGP, the need is more immediate.
>     As long as the API == pom.xml
> I'm fine with having it the base for the definition of "breaking" and
> triggering a new major version.
> So we'd just need to bump major iff people need to tweak their consumer
> pom.xml files for their build to complete? If so, is any of the changes
> listed really requiring consumers to change their pom?
> _______________________________________________
> tycho-dev mailing list
> tycho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To unsubscribe from this list, visit
tycho-dev mailing list
To unsubscribe from this list, visit

Aleksandar Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team

Aleksandar Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team

Back to the top