So it seems to me the work in 2.0 is to make sure we understand what API's are available for these tools, supply the input pipes,  be able to save the result,  then encourage web tools that don't have an API to use these pipes.  For example, if we can let users select a group of files/folders to generate a zip at a URL to pass to a web API, and then look for files to save back, we could go a long way.   And then where these tools don't already have a web API, encourage them to accept these simple inputs.

Plugins are then just piping together these workflows.

susan

Inactive hide details for Simon Kaegi ---10/27/2012 06:45:49 PM---I was chatting with Boris and he sent me this great link... (Simon Kaegi ---10/27/2012 06:45:49 PM---I was chatting with Boris and he sent me this great link... (originally from JJB)

From: Simon Kaegi <Simon_Kaegi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Orion developer discussions <orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/27/2012 06:45 PM
Subject: [orion-dev] LOTD -- It's not all about the Plugins...
Sent by: orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I was chatting with Boris and he sent me this great link... (originally from JJB)
http://www.thetoolbox.cc/

It's awesome that our plugins let us extend Orion and do content assist, i18n, pretty printing etc. but lets not lose sight of the fact that there are already a zillion of these amazing web-based tools out there. For 2.0 one of the most important priorities has to be making it easy to incorporate these sorts of tools into our workflows. This weeks Tuesday UX call is a great place to begin collecting an exemplary set of tools together and coming together to figure out how Orion can better use these tools "without" necessitating changes on their side.
-Simon