Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Moving MicroProfile JWT to JakartaSecurity?

The biggest issue thinking of even referencing the MP JWT API in the Jakarta Security Spec/API are circular dependencies to usually different versions.

Even if it’s currently just a few like Jakarta JSON Processing or CDI.

Using it in Soteria also bears the risk of API differences, because most of the time MP won’t yet be on the same Version level as Jakarta EE, but using it in the API could  make this worse, also given the MP JWT API relies on a particular implementation using certain JWT Frameworks of different Kinds.

A good starting point would be Looking at the actual issue https://github.com/jakartaee/security/issues/277 and a proposed PR https://github.com/jakartaee/security/pull/278.

That involves the Nimbus JOSE Framework which I believe also could be used by some MP JWT implementations, but it uses Elements that don’t even exist in the MP API yet, especially JWSHeader.

I doubt the way it is proposed would work for the API but currently that is just a proposed addition to the TCK, where as discussed here earlier MP JWT also uses Jakarta Authentication or <version.jose4j>0.7.9</version.jose4j> without exposing them in the API.

Werner