Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: TCK tests in the same repo as API andSpec

I was mostly with you until I got to this:

It doesn't make sense to me to create a detailed plan now. It can be created later (after Jakarta EE 9 release) when this effort is supported by other specs.

If you write the plan after the work is done, it's not a plan, it's a record of events.

We need the plan so people can see what's going to happen and understand what they need to do for their part of the work.

Also remember that we have a TCK Users Guide for each of the TCKs.  Right now they're all pretty similar with some spec-specific customizations.  Someone needs to figure out how that's going to work with the new approach.  Maybe there's a general "How to Run a Junit and Arquillian Based TCK" that applies to all of them, and then a very short document for each TCK telling what needs to be configured for that TCK.  Exactly what you're going to do here needs to be part of the plan.

The point of the plan is to describe what's going to be done and use it to coordinate the work as it happens.  After the work is done, you need Users Guides and things like that that describe how to use it.  "Internal" documentation describing how you created it and how it works inside would be great, but hardly anyone produces such documentation anymore based on a mistaken belief that good code is self documenting.

Back to the top