Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: TCK tests in the same repo as API andSpec

I see that this discussion went too deep into details. Here is my vision and summary of how this process should look like.

Disadvantages of the current approach:

1. It's complicated to run standalone TCK tests. CTS is a complex system requiring special knowledge of how to use it. Most of Jakarta EE developers don't have this experience. JavaTest is not what developers are using in their projects.

2. CTS is not Maven based. It's not possible to run TCK tests as part of Maven builds.

3. CTS is tied with GlassFish. GlassFish is used as a container with all the disadvantages such as complications in CI/CD scripting which should check out, build and produce glassfish.jar with tested component integrated.

4. Some specs may not care much about all Jakarta EE specifications. But they have to now because CTS technically belongs to the Platform project.

Splitting TCK tests out of CTS and making them stand alone Maven artifacts (similar to what MicroProfile has) eliminates the disadvantages above.

In Helidon we don't care about Jakarta Platform tests. We run tests only for components we use as part of our Maven build. I guess that other MicroProfile implementations do it the same way. It also can work the same way for Jakarta EE Platform implementations. They just run TCK tests for all components as part of their build (in a special profile indeed). Cross-spec tests must be a part of one of crossing spec TCKs. Interoperability tests can be released as a separate artifact.

At some point some specs will have TCKs split and some are not. In this case full testing is achieved by running 2 suites: one is as I described above and CTS with the rest of TCKs.

It's important that all TCK tests use the same testing frameworks. I think that we all agreed that it should be JUnit 5 and Arquillian. I think that we should use one parent pom where all dependencies are defined for consistency.

Questions about new tests coverage and quality should be asked and solved during the spec progress review where new TCKs are introduced. It doesn't make sense to me to create a detailed plan now. It can be created later (after Jakarta EE 9 release) when this effort is supported by other specs.

-- Dmitry