Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: TCK tests in the same repo as API andSpec

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 11:35 AM Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In my opinion, shell script integration "doesn't count".

I know how to write a shell script that runs A and then runs B.  That's the easy part.

The integration I'd like, and that we may not be able to achieve, is to only have to configure the TCK once - where is the app server, how do I deploy to it, where is the database server, where is the LDAP server, where will I find log file output, how do I configure which tests to run, etc.

After speaking with some of the CTS experts in IBM, I would contest the claim that we currently "only have to configure the TCK once".
All of the various configs for the TCK are in one giant (over 2.5k lines) config file:
Additionally, each spec can also define its own config extensions like so:

I actually see it is a drawback, rather than a benefit, that config for the entire platform TCK is in one place. For example, if I just want to run the TCKs for one spec on my company's runtime, I'd have to sift through the entire 2.5k line "common" config file and configure the parts that my spec's TCK needs.

If we had unified configuration for "old" and "new" test suites, that would make a big difference.  At some level it's "only software" so it should be possible, but I doubt that it's worth the effort.  I think it's unavoidable that I would need to write both an Aquillian adapter and a CTS deployment adapter to allow me to deploy to my new app server.

Also, remember that JavaTest has a GUI that allows you to configure and run the TCK.  Would we expect to integrate the new style TCKs with that GUI?  I wouldn't think so.