Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Compliance requirements for "Java SE" specifications leveraged in Jakarta EE 8

On 8/27/19 5:51 PM, Scott Marlow wrote:

On 8/26/19 6:26 PM, Bill Shannon wrote:
David Blevins wrote on 8/26/19 2:51 PM:
Over the last couple weeks we've had some clarification and clarity on the stance between Java SE and Java EE.  This clarity is still evolving and there is no way I'll represent it 100% correctly.

These specifications are not officially part of the Java EE 8/Jakarta EE 8 definition as they are part of the Java SE 8 JVM.

  - JavaBeans™ Activation Framework / Jakarta™ Activation
  - Java™ API for XML Web Services (JAX-WS) / Jakarta™ XML Web Services
  - Java™ API for XML Binding (JAXB) / Jakarta™ XML Binding
  - Java™ Web Services Metadata / Jakarta™ Web Services Metadata

Yes, and you forgot SAAJ.

Should Common Annotation also be in this list?

IMHO it shouldn't as Java SE 8 contains only a subset of one package defined by Common Annotations, ie javax.annotation.{security, sql} is not part of Java SE 8.

thanks,
--lukas

Some of them have different versions in Java 8 vs Java 9.  My understanding is all of the above were removed from JDK 11 and beyond.

Open questions for Jakarta EE 8 Platform implementations on Java 8 or 9:

  - are tests for any of these shipped in the Jakarta EE 8 TCK?

No, I don't believe so.

https://download.eclipse.org/ee4j/jakartaee-tck/jakartaee8/nightly/ has many of the standalone TCKs, including SAAJ + JAX-WS + Common Annotations.

Will these standalone TCKs ship as part of Jakarta EE 8 final release? I would expect them to, since they are (mostly) generated from the Jakarta EE 8 TCK repository.

Scott