Re: [ide-dev] Survey results

On Dec 9, 2013, at 5:46 PM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 12/09/2013 05:14 PM, Eric Moffatt wrote:

What happened to the idea of scraping github for data ? This seemed like a great idea to me when it first came up and may provide further insight into our users 'real' preferences.

Do you, as a user, commit your preferences to GitHub?
I may be wrong, but I don't believe GitHub repositories can give real hints about IDE configuration.

why don't you simply go and look?

For example, at github the option 'org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.problem.autoboxing' is set 14,244 times to ignore [1] (today's default), and only 1,061 to warning [2] (the proposal) and 230 to error [3].

That's much better data than the survey, because it is more detailed, is based on real usage, and we have seven times as much 'votes'.
And surprisingly (or not) the result is very different.

Back to the top