Re: [ide-dev] Survey results

On 12/10/2013 10:01 AM, Sven Efftinge wrote:
For example, at github the option 'org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.problem.autoboxing' is set 14,244 times to ignore [1] (today's default), and only 1,061 to warning [2] (the proposal) and 230 to error [3].
Those are preferences for a given project. We're speaking of default user preferences, which are stored in workspace metadata.
The survey is about behaviour out-of-the-box, it's not about what are the best preferences settings for everyone.
I also notice that since XText seems to set up some warning settings [1], having the projects opened inside Eclipse with all warnings on by default wouldn't show any other warning for XText, as you explicitly disable some of them for the project. Same seems to apply for JDT [2]

I don't want all warnings to be always enabled independently of any configuration, I just think people would like people to see by default all available warnings and static analysis rules, so they can decide by themselves which ones to keep or not based on their specificities. The current status with warnings makes that people are IMO under-using it. GitHub counts 360000+ Eclipse/Java projects [3], only 15000 seems to deal with preferences.

So there is everything necessary to override the default configuration. This discussion is not about forcing everyone to see new warnings, it's just making default IDE showing everything it has in the guts.

[1] https://github.com/eclipse/xtext/blob/master/plugins/org.eclipse.xtend.core/.settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs#L39
[2] https://github.com/eclipse/eclipse.jdt.ui/blob/master/org.eclipse.jdt.junit/.settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs#L30
[3] https://github.com/search?l=xml&q=org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature&ref=searchresults&type=Code
--