Re: [ide-dev] Survey results

I'm in this camp as well...the one thing we can be sure of is that changes without a large amount of actual support will simply be seen as 'unnecessary churn' to most of the community.

What happened to the idea of scraping github for data ? This seemed like a great idea to me when it first came up and may provide further insight into our users 'real' preferences.

For the more complicated cases (like the error / warning settings, themes...) I don't think that there is a 'correct' answer; there are simply too many variables (language(s) used, new vs legacy codebase...) to come up with a single setup that'll satisfy (let alone please) a majority of users.

Part of an ongoing strategy going forwards should be to enable the aggregation of this information as an install from the eclipse marketplace. This would mean that each developer community could set up what's most appropriate to them and if there are multiple solutions so be it; download the one *you* want. I realize that this is too resource heavy and long term for application to Luna but without multiple, easily accessible, choices we'll only ever be able to offer a 'one size fits all' solution into a user space where not everybody is the same. We're making a least a start to this in the platform focusing on themes / css but it's certainly been of great help to us (both resource and publicity wise) to be able to get new CSS themes from the marketplace. Note that we also get to leverage the 'social' aspects of using the market as well (rankings, easy to reference in blogs...).

Onwards,
Eric

Inactive hide details for Doug Schaefer ---12/09/2013 10:40:00 AM---I’m with Ian, 65% isn’t large enough. We lay lose credibiDoug Schaefer ---12/09/2013 10:40:00 AM---I’m with Ian, 65% isn’t large enough. We lay lose credibility with those 65%, but that’s only 1400 p

Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx>

Discussions about the IDE <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

12/09/2013 10:40 AM

Re: [ide-dev] Survey results

    Sent by:

ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I’m with Ian, 65% isn’t large enough. We lay lose credibility with those 65%, but that’s only 1400 people out of the millions that use Eclipse.

Which is actually another point, the response size is pretty small. I’m not sure we can conclude anything based on that.

And my final point? Someone suggested the JDT team take care of the change of preferences. I’d suggest we are all members of the JDT team. Any one of us could make the change.

Doug.