Re: [hono-dev] Let's get started

Just my 2 cents ...

... related to what Gordon said : "... take the question in this thread of whether or not clients connect directly to the infrastructure, or only through Hono..."

Reading previous emails and Hono project description, my personal idea about it is that Hono could be represented in the following two exchangeable ways :

  • an "out of box" MOM like ActiveMQ, Artemis, RabbitMQ and so on to connect to using AMQP 1.0 protocol;
  • a MOM developed as software component. Today it's based on the EventDispatcher, tomorrow it could be based on Vert.x Proton server (to guarantee connection based on AMQP 1.0);

The common element will be the AMQP 1.0 API we should define in terms of AMQP node/path to connect/send/receive to interact with the infrastructure.

As Gordon says, implementing a software component as a Messaging middleware we need to provide same features as an "out of box" middleware so that all these features are always available in any scenarios (using both above middlewares).
In case we use an "out of box" MOM it could be not so productive to put another layer in front of it. Of course, the protocol adapters (for HTTP, MQTT, ...) are needed for interoperability.
On my understanding, I think that the Hono value is to define a good AMQP API and use MOM capabilities to provide Hono features we want.
Of couse the other value is provided by adapters and predefined services (like device management and monitoring) on both Hono sides.

So referring to what Gordon said ... I can't understand the difference between connecting directly to the infrastructure or only through Hono, if the "infrastructure" (aka a MOM) IS a possible Hono implementation ... so for me they are the same.

Sorry If I have lost your points due to my miss understanding ;-)

Thanks,
Paolo.

Paolo Patierno
Senior Software Engineer