Re: [hono-dev] Let's get started

On 28/02/16 10:09, Kai wrote:
I think you are exactly right, the specific message exchange semantics
are Hono's "raison d'etre". However, this still allows for these
messages being forwarded to consumers via infrastructure that has no
knowledge of these semantics as long as they use AMQP 1.0, right?

Of course.

My point was that using different infrastructure may result in different characteristics of course, but it should not (in my opinion) alter the semantics of what Hono provides.

The interface and interaction between the infrastructure and any Hono components is therefore important. (Standard messaging protocols aim to define such interfaces of course).

Simply as an example, take the question in this thread of whether or not clients connect directly to the infrastructure, or only through Hono. Brokers typically provide features related to accepting incoming connections - e.g. flexible authentication options, connection limits, access restrictions, management and monitoring of connections etc - but not tied to any specific messaging patterns or semantics. If using Hono requires that clients connect to some Hono component instead, then these features may not be accessible as implemented in the broker. None of these are in themselves difficult to develop of course but in my view they aren't the core focus of what Hono aims to offer.

The best way to provide a feature Hono offers may of course necessitate re-implementation of functionality commonly available in the infrastructure. I'm not arguing it never makes sense, just that it is worth being clear as to why it is necessary.

Back to the top