Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] The "Eclipse Projects" Market

On 2015-05-03 17:25, Doug Schaefer wrote:

Thus could be done at project ‎creation time too. The user selects a particular template and the
template ensures that the required plug-ins are installed. The list of templates could even be
pulled from the Internet just like the marketplace client.

This assumes, that users create a new project from scratch. Most
projects I 'create' are based on code that I clone form github and
that I want to browse. This is where editors like sublime or emacs
shine: zero setup, just open the directory.

In this case, when I create the project, I don't know what's in there.
The only reason I create project is because eclipse forces me to
create a project.

Therefore the I like the jetbrains approach: if I open a file with a
filtype that is currently not supported by the IDE, they open it as
text file and they ask me if I want to install support for the new
filetype.

When eclipse does not know the file type, it tries to open the file
with the 'system editor', which I find extremely annoying most of the
time. LiClipse does it right, by opening the file in a plain text
editor. This is what I expect.

The assumption that users create projects before they start working is
one of the biggest obstacles for using eclipse. This may have been
the main workflow 20 years ago when eclipse started. Today a good part of
development is to look at existing code and libraries which often
contain code in languages that are not part of the main project.

`git clone` is something I do every day and how to browse the result
directory in eclipse is a major headache....

Michael

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.