Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] The "Eclipse Projects" Market

Does this make sense.

Makes sense. I see a need to have feature sets like the Arduino C++ Developer Toolkit being available but not necessarily part of the C++ package.
I’m a follower of the "start from a minimal platform package and install what you need” religion.

To me it sounds that the main differentiators to existing approaches and the Eclipse Projects Marketplace are:

1. Easily install different (language) tool sets in one IDE. That was possible before as well - but maybe not that obvious as in a Marketplace entry before.
2. New prepackaged feature combinations (spanning more than one Eclipse project). Before projects could offer a feature on their update site or on the simrel repo. With the marketplace logical feature that have (sub) features from the c++ tools project and some IoT projects may be combined. With that it may be easier for a user to decide what he needs and may make it easier to consume these projects

I wouldn’t be surprised if many projects would request their own specific logical feature that comes with plugin A,B,C. Having you as the authority to decide which feature combination makes sense will be an interesting experiment. Maybe there should be more guidelines in the beginning. But this is a minor issue IMHO.

I’m more concerned about installation problems that will occur because of missing dependencies, illegal version constraints etc. At the moment every project individually (has to) check its marketplace error log to find out when and why an installation fails. If those logical features are set up, every participating project should monitor whether these bundle combinations can actually be installed. Right now, the EPP packages are such a checkpoint. I’m afraid that we will loose one such checkpoint with the Marketplace feature.
One idea to mitigate this: Maybe we can sent weekly installation error reports by email to feature maintainers? Then they would at least notice what’s going wrong and may take the necessary actions.

2cts.
Marcel