Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Eclipse Development Process

While we can speak with some authority on technical and community issues specific to Eclipse, it feels a bit presumtuous to be dispensing general software development advice. I'm sure these different methodologies are a great way for consultants to sell their services, but I don't think anyone can claim to have found the one true way to write software. I think the best anyone can say is, "here is what worked for my team", but for a different team a different process may be more appropriate. Just my $0.02...

John

David Carver <d_a_carver@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse.org-architecture-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/17/2008 09:56 AM

Please respond to
"eclipse.org-architecture-council"        <eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"eclipse.org-architecture-council" <eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[eclipse.org-architecture-council] Eclipse Development Process

Recently, I blogged about if the the Eclipse Development Process was
still considered an agile one.  Mike suggested that I bring this up as
an Architecture Council topic.

http://intellectualcramps.blogspot.com/2008/11/is-eclipse-development-process-agile.html

As Mike has pointed out the Eclipse Development Process isn't really
considered with the actual coding and software development, but more in
how to move a project through the Eclipse release and deployment
cycle.    I don't think that the AC should dictate to projects how to
develope their particular plugins, but I do think that we need to try to
help install and make sure that that 10 principles of Agile Development
are being followed.

Anyways, is this something that the Architecture Council should try to
address over the next several months, and if so how?

Personally, I think a recommendation of which Agile methodologies a
project can use wouldn't hurt.   As I said, I'm fond of XP and Scrum
used together, but that's my opinion.   Any other combinations, or
suggestions?

Dave