Re: [ecf-dev] build easier next steps

Thanks. I did get Buckminster installed in my Eclipse IDE and
successfully ran the demo example from the book.

I'm trying to install the headless version, but ran into some
difficulty as described below. Can you give me some further advice?

I interpreted Appendix A to say the following...

1.
Download the director. I read on www,ecliipse.org/buckminster
<quote>
In order to install the headless buckminster, you must use the P2
director. A headless command line version of the director can be found
here:  director_1.0.0.r10307.zip.
</quote>

I downloaded  director_1.0.0.r10307.zip and unzipped it into
/opt/headlessDirector. This produces a directory called director.

2.
I then entered the directory called director and issued the command as
described in Appendix A.

<quote>
org.eclipse.buckminster.cmdline.product
</quote>
 I got the following...

ted@MyHeron:/opt/headlessDirector/director$ ./director -r
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.5 -d
/opt/headlessBucky -p Buckminster -i
org.eclipse.buckminster.cmdline.product
Installing org.eclipse.buckminster.cmdline.product 1.1.350.r10447.
Operation completed in 34012 ms.
ted@MyHeron:/opt/headlessDirector/director$ ls
artifacts.xml  configuration  director  director.bat  eclipse.ini  p2  plugins

3.
Now I want to install additional features. Appendix A says I can use
the just installed Buckminster and gives the syntax as

<quote>
Where «repository-url» is the same as in the previous step, and
«feature-id» is one of the features listed below. Optionally, a
specific version can be installed. Here are the features you can
install:

org.eclipse.buckminster.core.headless.feature
     The Core functionality — this feature is required if you want to
do anything with
      Buckminster  except installing additional features.
</quote>

and so I entered the directory /opt/headlessBucky which has an
executable buckminster and entered the following, replacing
repository-url with
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.5/ but then
got the following error...

<quote>
ted@MyHeron:/opt/headlessBucky$ ./buckminster
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.5/
org.eclipse.buckminster.core.headless.feature
Command 'http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.5/' not found
</quote>

4.
I think I need to supply a command (but Appendix A does not show this
in the syntax). So I tried

ted@MyHeron:/opt/headlessBucky$  ./buckminster
org.eclipse.buckminster.installer.install
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.5/
org.eclipse.buckminster.core.headless.feature
ted@MyHeron:/opt/headlessBucky$

And as you can see, it was silent. So I don't know if anything happened.

 -ted