Re: [udig-devel] uDig at location meeting and assorted other admin stuff

Hi Jody, Emily, Everyone

Please forgive me for top-posting. This update didn't fit in any one specific point in the thread but was relevant to the discussion.

Things are going extremely well for the Location industry working group (IWG) formation. In May, the Location IWG will be presented to the Eclipse Foundation board. If the plan is approved including the details re: a distinct name/brand/logo for our Location group, we'll have what we need to proceed.

Regarding licensing, the way the IWG is structured will let us re-distribute LGPL components such as Geotools for example. It is our hope that LGPL be the exception rather than the norm (i.e. EPL, MIT, BSD) since there are clauses in the LGPL that trigger more than a few companies to prohibit re-use of LGPL components including key participating members.

On the company side of things there are roughly 20 organizations participating already. This list is growing significantly each meeting which is nice to see. A handful of companies have already committed to launch the group. A few more may join between now and the launch. Of the initial group, Oracle & IBM have tentatively agreed to provide the inaugural co-chairs for the group.

All of this is a long winded say that we're now ready to push ahead and start the work to bring uDig to this exciting new forge & group.

If you're interested in more information, our temporary landing page is here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Location

I would be thrilled to talk to anyone who's interested in hosting a project in this facility or talking about how participation in this IWG can benefit their organization.

Andrew

p.s. As Jody noted, many of us have been involved with OSGeo for some time. I'm happy to report we've been having constructive conversations with members of the OSGeo board about how we can collaborate. For what it's worth, we're also talking with OpenStreetMap, Ushahidi, and many other organizations about similar synergies.