Re: [udig-devel] walkthrough 1 - refractions postgis instance is unavailable

Hi Eric - can you please change the subject line :-) I quickly loose my head with the amount of email when topics change inside an already existing email thread.

Your documentation of how to produce the problem is of course excellent :-) How should we best organize for this? a) We could use Jira (make a "release" for the code sprint so we can mark bugs as "fixed for 1.2 codesprint").
b) We could use a wiki page
c) We could actually just use email and organize a thread around each problem

Some of the subjects you mention actually fall under feature development; I think trunk needs some basic care and feeding (with things like the postgis wizard not working). My understanding is that we want to make trunk work so the developer community is not split across two branches...

Jody

Eric Jarvies wrote:
I agree. The sooner I have a testable OS X version, the sooner I could go through it and prepare uDig bug videos showing the problem, and suggesting solutions when/where they are not otherwise obvious. Especially fundamental issues. For example:

1. In Layers pane, right click on layer, select Properties from contextual menu. user has no ability to COPY text that is displayed in this 'properties' window. Additionally, there is a bug in the Properties menu, wherein if a user re-sizes the two panes, and if a row in the right side pane contains a long string of text(url), the window will blow-up. See the video to better understand. Additionally, if the user, at any time, resizes this Properties window, uDig should remember this, and upon opening it the next time, it should remain the same size as was set previously by the user. uDig, overall, seldom remembers such things throughout the entire application.
http://ericjarvies.com/udig/Properties_pop-up_window-small.mov

2. In the Table view, a number of things need to be fixed/added to bring it up to speed so it can at minimum, serve as a basic data editor. Right now, it is very difficult to use uDig to edit records. Watch the video, and see how I've pointed out about a dozen or so issues. http://ericjarvies.com/udig/Table_view_tabbing_copyPaste_importExport_userConfig.mov

3. etc.
(i'll add 30 more videos with about 100 items to the list)

I will prepare as many videos as I can that point out lacking features, areas that need improvement, and of course bugs. Also, I will upload 640x480 videos, in addition to thumbnail videos(like the above 2), so that those of you that are unable to get the point from those small video files, can reference the full size and full res files, which of course are 10-40mb's each, depending on length.

In my opinion, as part of this sprint, I encourage those capable(coding) to really try to concentrate on BASIC functionality, so that uDig can start being used as an editor of data. I understand that a lot of these basic features are not as exciting to program/code, as are other features that are cooler or a lot neater, but imho, these BASIC functionality features will result in more users actually using uDig for more things, like editing records, for example. Right now, I only use uDig for a viewer, because it is incapable of being used as an editor, because it lacks basic functionality in that department. Alas, these are fairly straight forward issues to address/correct/add, programmatically speaking, so I encourage the programming-powers-that-be, to please seriously consider putting these towards the top of the priority list(copy, paste, keyboard commands, etc.)

over the next days, I will go through udig from head to toe, and create these videos, and as I upload them and post them to the wiki, I would appreciate it if all of you could view them, and then edit the wiki to reflect which of them are the most important, and which should definitely be addressed. Each video may cover one, some, or many issues at once.

Regards,

Eric