Re: [Geotools-devel] [udig-devel] report from udig on trunk :-)

We have a blocker on GeoTools 2.4 to check if the we can use OSGi to wire up GeoTools (rather then FactorySPI) - if that is successful I imagine we can break up libs into its component parts (and no longer have this hack of an ant script to maintain).

If you want a real sad story you should hear about the JPox guys, JPox is actually wired with OSGi, when they wrapped this up in GeoTools they needed to allow for this, and when that was wrapped up back in OSGi again for uDig libs ... well lets say they had a couple of weeks worth of fun with classloaders (and uncovered a few assumptions in the JPox code).

There is a nice presentation on what they did that should appear on the uDig website soon.

Cheers,
Jody
Yup, you will have to drag in commons-beanutils into the set of
libraries. One thing i just thought of for udig was the dependencies on
emf + xsd for the xml module. Although you probably aren't pulling that
dependency in are you? If you did I wonder if the eclipse class loading
system would save you. Be interesting to find out!!.

-Justin

Jody Garnett wrote:
Oh I spoke too soon :-) It seems some extra dependencies have been sneaked in.
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/beanutils/Converter
    at sun.misc.Service$LazyIterator.next(Unknown Source)
    at org.geotools.util.Converters.convert(Converters.java:42)
    at org.geotools.util.Converters.convert(Converters.java:20)
    at org.geotools.filter.expression.Value.value(Value.java:55)
Looks like I will need to hint down Justin and determine a new list of dependencies, that said everything is rendering fine.
Jody
Just a quick report from uDig on trunk ...

Building today, straight from the deployed jars results in the following export errors:
Package 'org.opengis.catalog.capability' does not exist in this plug-in
Package 'org.opengis.catalog.discovery' does not exist in this plug-in
Package 'org.opengis.catalog.manager' does not exist in this plug-in
Package 'org.opengis.catalog' does not exist in this plug-in
It appears that some house cleaning was done on GeoAPI-SNAPSHOT since the last release, I am going to assume these proposed catalog packages have gone off to branch land until an implementation appears to back them up.

ProjectFactoryImpl had a reference to FeatureResults (changed to use FeatureCollection, although we can be sure this code was not being called).

That was it for GeoTools changes :-)

On the uDig side I had to fix a couple of tests:
- WithinLegalLayerBoundsBehaviour.getCommand replaced with isEnabled
- EditToolConfigurationHelper constructor had been changed to work with a List

All the best,
Jody