RE: [tools-pmc] RE: [ve-dev] Contribution on VE with XML editor

Title: New Page 1

Whether you call them releases or milestones I guess is semantics. But what I’m looking for is the ability for projects to release incubator and non-incubator “things”.

Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems

From: Bjorn Freeman-Benson [mailto:bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 11:18 AM
To: Doug Schaefer
Subject: Re: [tools-pmc] RE: [ve-dev] Contribution on VE with XML editor

"Releases of code" that haven't gone through the IP process? Or "development of code and milestone builds of that code" ?  Because the "releases of code that hasn't been IP reviewed" is going to be a Board no-no.  But the development and milestone builds should be fine (that's the intent of the policies)... Maybe it's just semantics of the words, but I want to make sure I understand...

- Bjorn

Doug Schaefer wrote:

Incubator components would make sense. Having to recreate the project structure, even if it is the same people, is where I have issues. Also the façade that they are two separate projects is misleading to the community since operationally they are not. Projects in my mind are organizational things, i.e. the people. Is it the code that’s incubating or the people?

If all we’re trying to achieve is the ability to do releases for code that hasn’t gone through the IP process. Maybe having an incubator area in the CVS/SVN repository and a tagging of bits in the downloads area as incubating would be enough.

I’m just worried that people might be abusing the Incubator process as a workaround for going through the proper IP process.

Yes. And "official releases" is going to be that violation :-(

--
[end of message]

Back to the top