Re: [photran] request: install for quiche-eaters

On Monday 10 December 2007 23:22, Arjan van Dijk wrote:
> --> Question: can someone please make an automatic Photran installer for
> MingW that includes installation of the relevant compiler(s), debugger, and
> other utilities? I know I am lazy, but you will gain so much credit from
> new users if you have an easier, full installation!

I fear quiche-eaters and chardonnay-sippers everywhere may be disappointed!

I'm no Eclipse expert but in my humble view fragmentation is a problem with the whole Eclipse IDE enterprise, and it stems from having numerous independent development projects and wide reuse of modules.  In theory module reuse is an excellent thing, and the Eclipse plugin architecture facilitates this very nicely.  In practice ~and~ on this scale, however, it seems to have become something of a minefield of software dependencies, variable standards of documentation, unsynchronised releases, and in at least one instance which comes to mind, competing projects.

Earlier this year I investigated UML modelling in Eclipse.  It was required that the modelling process had to begin with a graphical model and the software tools had to be licensed under a GPL or similar.  Yes, it can be done if another tool (ArgoUML) is used to develop a model which is then exported to Eclipse as an XMI file and converted to Eclipse' own EMF modelling format, but getting it all together was certainly not straightforward.

This shouldn't be taken as disparaging the basic philosophy of Eclipse, and especially the Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP).  I think Eclipse suits large and stable development environments where the effort involved in customising it to suit a particular environment is a once-off thing.  It's a great asset to have in the Software Engineering Consultant's bag.

I'd be most interested to hear any comments on this topic.

Regards,
David

Back to the top