Re: [embed-cdt-dev] Rename bundles and packages - no compatibility for third parties

On 11/5/20 8:54 AM, Jonah Graham wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 10:49, Don Wilde <dwilde1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I already raised the Java requirement to Java 11.

Jonah, while Ubuntu and many other Linux distros have gone to 11 along with Oracle and OpenJDK, I know that some corporate systems (IT and IoT) have been hesitant to leap beyond Java8. It was quite a step forward from 7, so I'd do some research before making the code out of 11.

Thanks for your feedback Don! It is great to hear from the community. In this case I think the issue is that the Eclipse IDE Ecosystem as a whole from 2020-09 requires Java 11, so I think it is OK for plug-ins that depend on it to also have such a requirement.

FWIW - many of the eclipse packages from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ now come with a packaged Java JRE, and at the moment that is Java 14 (soon to be 15 IIRC).

Marvelous. 2020-09 just "popped" for me and I've only been using it in its ST-ARM M7 mode. For tool-makers it does make sense; most of the Apache infrastructure is still based on Java although I saw one crack in that dam recently.