Re: [embed-cdt-dev] Rename bundles and packages - no compatibility for third parties

On 11/5/20 8:37 AM, Jonah Graham wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 10:31, Liviu Ionescu <ilg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5 Nov 2020, at 17:21, Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> ... I think that users will accept this limitation based on the move to Eclipse Foundation and related changes. I think you have the right bar for minimum compatibility, it would irritate users if their existing projects stopped working.

Ok, thank you for confirming; I'll proceed with the changes to split .ui from .core.

Since this already became a **very** major release, if we can call it so, it is time to also raise the minimum Eclipse/CDT requirements from the prehistoric Eclipse Neon.

I'd go directly to Eclipse 2020-09, as the first release to include CDT 10.x.

I already raised the Java requirement to Java 11.

Jonah, while Ubuntu and many other Linux distros have gone to 11 along with Oracle and OpenJDK, I know that some corporate systems (IT and IoT) have been hesitant to leap beyond Java8. It was quite a step forward from 7, so I'd do some research before making the code out of 11.

Of course, if you don't get any complaints it's a non-issue but be alert for it if it comes. I have not been in the Java world since 2017, so YMMV. :D