Re: [embed-cdt-dev] Rename bundles and packages - no compatibility for third parties

> On 4 Nov 2020, at 17:25, Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I am all for renaming stuff that means that ISVs have to cope. It hardly seems worth the value in renaming view ids if that means having to write a bunch of new code to handle the migration.
>
> So, unless you want to tell users to reset perspectives and/or start with new workspaces, I would recommend to not bother.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same things.

For compatibility with existing projects and existing workspaces, we should **not** rename most IDs, and keep the existing 'ilg.gnumcueclipse.*' ones.

Initially I had a small problem with this, since most of the IDs were derived from the Activator.PLUGIN_ID string, which is manually defined to match the bundle name.

Now the IDs have their own separate definitions and most of them (all?) preserve the 'ilg.gnumcueclipse.' prefix. (and makes questionable the need for Activator.PLUGIN_ID).

From the point of view of the code 'cleanness', I don't like this very much, but given the undesirable effects that changing the IDs have, I'm afraid we have to live with this inconsistency.

Regards,

Liviu

Back to the top