[Wtp-wst-dev] Re: psychopath API changes

> If this is not an appropriate place to discuss cross cutting API
> concerns, then where should such discussions be held and recorded?

I think this is a fine place to get started, such as to narrow down or
decide what the issues are, but than as they are discussed in specifics, I
myself think bugzilla is usually best place for that, as it tends to
preserve a retrievable form of the discussion for a long period of time
(just IMHO only ... it's up to you all having the discussion! :) And I
think you're doing a great job of it!)

> As for 1.3 / 1.4 compatibility I just tried using retrotranslator on the
current test suite

What's retrotranslator? Is it the same, or have you tried, "down
compiling" with PDE settings? P2 recently did some investigation of that
in their code, if this reference link helps:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_down_compilation

[Ah, I just googled and found this, which I assume is what you mean:
http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/
I think it best to avoid "byte code manipulation" as can make debugging
more difficult and adds more steps to building or using the code. But may
be only option if "down compiling" doesn't work for you. From quick read
of P2 note, it appears down compiling will handle most, but not all of
Java 5 language features.]

> ... let's focus on full compliance first, and then afterwards create a
bugzilla to track the proposed changes.

Compliance before API? Tricky trade-off. I'd wonder if it was really
compliant if not achieved with complete API ... but, I obviously do not
know the details of what you mean, so could be mis-interpreting what you
say.

You are correct to ask and work this through the Xerces users list as they
are, I assume, your biggest client at the moment. I know they do have some
legacy 1.3/1.4 users but I had the impression that was mostly to support
old, legacy code. I wonder ... for users writing new code, using new
features, if they really need that level of JRE? (They probably would say
they do ... just to be safe).

Good discussion ... if you keep it up you might just get me to read some
of these notes in detail! :)