Re: [stp-dev] FW: [stp-newsgroup] IRC transcript from todays session

It may not be clear from my previous message what the precise issue is

Clearly code review is neither necessary nor sufficient to allow code committment within the rules set out in the charter. It is not necessary, although it can be mandated by the PMC. It is not sufficient, because it does not allow for vetoes by other committers within the scope(s) defined by the charter.

If we are to mandate code review we need to be very careful as to the scope over which we madate it. If we put in place any mechanism which allows committers from different companies to "buddy up" to exercise control over code committment in a way that crosses (or defines subsets within) the component or project heirarchy, then those individuals (and their companies and the eclipse foundation) are potentially in breach of anti-trust law. The thing that saves us within the project or component heirarchy is the detail of the committer election rules which, in principle, allow anyone to contribute and be recognised by their peers and become a committer thereby gaining veto rights within the scope of component. There are also complicated rules for creating PMCs, Projects and Components which need to be followed.

Please also note every meeting (including discussions relating to code review) needs to invite everyone within its scope (project, component, etc.), to have an agenda posted in advance and to be minuted. In practice this stuff is best handled by committer vote at a weekly component or project meeting under the retroactive commit model.

Mike

Back to the top