From: Karl Reti [mailto:karl.reti@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 12:41 PM
To: stp-newsgroup@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [stp-newsgroup] IRC transcript from todays session

[12:01] Karlr: Ok Carl asked if I could host this session as he is going to be occupied elsewhere (right Carl ?) :-)
[12:02] Karlr: I have two items for the agenda at present
[12:02] Karlr: 1. Build system update
2. Naming conventions
[12:02] cctrieloff: yip - I did not get sleep last night with the baby
[12:02] Karlr: Anyone any additions ?
[12:03] DavidBosschaert: Should we also talk about a potential face to face at Eclipsecon?
[12:03] *** RobCernich has joined #eclipseSTP.
[12:03] Karlr: Good point
[12:03] Karlr: yes
[12:03] sdaume: the date of the face to face at Eclipse COn should be discussed [12:04] Karlr: At the last face to face we agreed to meet again at EclipseCon. Any suggestions for the time and location ? I think that Carl mentioned that the foundation agreed that we could use a room ?? I dont have those details though
[12:05] cctrieloff: Bjorn said that we could use one of the rooms
[12:05] Karlr: Anyd details on which and when ?
[12:06] cctrieloff: we need confirm once we have it together on our side
[12:06] Karlr: Is anyone going to any of the tutorials on the Monday ? If not then maybe Monday would be a good day ?
[12:06] *** askehill has joined #eclipseSTP.
[12:07] DavidBosschaert: I know people from our side will be going to a few...
[12:07] cctrieloff: It needs to be one of the counsil or board meeting days
[12:07] DavidBosschaert: Or potentially Friday>
[12:08] Karlr: Why one of the council meeting days ?
[12:08] RobCernich: i'll be presenting a tutorial in the morning
[12:09] DavidBosschaert: What days are the council meeting days?
[12:10] cctrieloff: those are the days that the EMO has rooms booked
[12:10] Karlr: I think they are on the Sunday
[12:10] Karlr: But I would also assume they will be used
[12:11] cctrieloff: I guess we could ask bjorn for some other day and she what we can get
[12:11] Karlr: And is everyone going to be there on the sunday ?
[12:11] Karlr: Thats really hy I suggested Monday
[12:11] Karlr: Any other suggestions ?
[12:11] DavidBosschaert: Currently people from Dublin arrive Monday Morning and leave Friday night, but we could change flights...
[12:12] Karlr: How about Monday afternoon if we can get a room ?
[12:13] *** boisvert has joined #eclipseSTP.
[12:14] sdaume: sounds good
[12:15] Karlr: Ok so far then its Monday afternoon (if wee can get a room) sound ok to everyone ??
[12:15] DavidBosschaert: I would prefer another day...
[12:16] DavidBosschaert: But if I'm alone on this I'm willing to go for Monday [12:17] Karlr: Hmm, looking at the EclipseCon site and track details it looks like the member and board meetings are all on the Monday so thats out...
[12:19] Karlr: So its either Sunday or Friday by the look of it
[12:19] Karlr: Or one evening
[12:21] Karlr: Ok well lets take this offline and see what we can do
[12:21] Karlr: Next Item
Any updates on the Build System ?
[12:21] oisin: currently there's a conversation on the mailing list re naming conventions [12:22] Karlr: Yes I saw it - from Daniel Berg.. btw does he know about this IRC ? [12:22] oisin: this is something that we should sort out before we go to structuring CVS -- cf Naci's mail
[12:22] Karlr: agreed
[12:22] oisin: I've emailed Dan to see if he can participate here. If not we do it by email.
[12:22] Karlr: ok
[12:22] oisin: We will go with the PDE build approach once we get a structure sorted out.
[12:23] Karlr: ok
[12:23] devang: yes he knows and he is busy. I am representing him on this IRC. [12:23] Karlr: ok great - do you want to take up his cause on the naming issue ?
[12:24] oisin: well I can summarize...
[12:24] devang: yes so he wanted to make sure that we have commit guidlines before we go on
[12:24] DavidBosschaert: The plain commit rules are in CVS now
[12:24] DavidBosschaert: I think what he refers to is coding guidelines as well.
[12:25] oisin: naming specifically
[12:25] devang: yes naming conventions
[12:25] oisin: the point being that we don't have crisp subprojects like other projects
[12:25] oisin: so our naming conventions are not as plain
[12:26] oisin: implication is that we need to decide on them in such a way that they uniquely identify our plugins [12:26] oisin: naci followed up with wtp conventions, which include using 'internal' to refer to non-API elements [12:27] oisin: however, the plugin<->subproject mapping is clear there, and not as clear with stp [12:27] oisin: I will take an action item to follow up on the mailing list with a proposal for discussion on our naming conventions.
[12:28] Karlr: ok that sounds good
[12:28] devang: also use *.ui* and *.test* in naming
[12:28] oisin: with the aim to bring the issue to a close by early next week
[12:28] oisin: or earlier :)
[12:29] oisin: agreed devang
[12:30] oisin: no more to add - any questions?
[12:32] Karlr: Ok are there any other items for discussion?
[12:33] devang: updates on Build System ?
[12:34] oisin: repeat: We will go with the PDE build approach once we get a structure sorted out.
[12:34] oisin: next step to get the naming to create the CVS structure
[12:36] Karlr: And that will be done via Email on the mailing list as mentioned earlier
[12:37] Karlr: Ok any other items for discussion then ?
[12:39] *** DavidBosschaert has left #eclipseSTP.
[12:39] Karlr: Ok I will post the transcript on the newgroup - until next time..
[12:39] *** devang has signed off IRC ().
[12:39] *** RobCernich has left #eclipseSTP.
[12:39] *** askehill has left #eclipseSTP.