Re: [stp-dev] FW: [stp-newsgroup] IRC transcript from todays session

I think we should be silent on the issue of code review.  Big can of worms.

I assume we've all read the project charter.

There is an ongoing scope ambiguity issue with the charter as to the scope of committer votes, generally it is interpreted at the component level for most commits. In other words votes/vetoes are applied at the component scope not the Project scope. In any case there is no cross-Project control structure within the charter. The Project scope is not PMC-wide. This stuff is very important. If we break these rules we break the anti-trust policy.

Mike

---------------------------------

From the charter

The Committers of a Project or component decide which changes may be committed to the master code base of a Project or component respectively. The PMC defines the decision process, but that process must include the ability for Committers to veto the change. The decision process employed may change with the phase of development. Common decision processes include:

   * Retroactive - changes are proactively made by Committers but can
be vetoed by a single Committer. * Proactive - for efficiency, some code changes from some
     contributors (e.g. feature additions, bug fixes) may be approved
     in advance, or approved in principle based on an outline of the
     work, in which case they may be committed first and changed as
     needed, with conflicts resolved by majority vote of the Committers
     of the Project or component, as applicable.
   * Three Positive - No code is committed without a vote; three +1
     ('yes' votes) with no -1 ('no' votes or vetoes) are needed to
approve a code change. Vetoes must be followed by an explanation for the veto within 24 hours or the veto becomes invalid. All votes are conducted via the developer mailing list associated with the Project or component. Special rules may be established by the PMC for Projects or components with fewer than three Committers.

Mike

Back to the top