From: science-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:science-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nils Hoffmann
Sent: 02 April 2013 08:48
To: science-iwg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [science-iwg] Brief update on science-iwg related discussion at EclipseCon

Hi,
Am 02.04.2013 09:34, schrieb Matt.Gerring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Hi,

We spoke about swt-xy-graph being the focus at a BOF last year, I think there was a similar conclusion. It would be productive to share on this API - great idea!

We could contribute an extension API which is open source and EPL licensed (some parts are Apache).

It extends swt-xy-graph to 2D and also with a 3D capability (using jreality/JOGL), although the 3D is obviously not swt-xy-graph. The entry point for the whole API is an eclipse like design here: IPlottingSystem.java with ITraceSystem.java being the interface for plotting 3D things like surfaces as well as 1D and 2D things using draw2D.

The implementation is available here: PlottingSystemImpl.java

The 3D plotting is surfaces and points and stacked 1D plots. There is activity at the moment developing an iso-surface plotter, it is in the design stage only however. The video 4 here shows the 3D surface stuff: http://www.dawnsci.org/tools/data-handling. I will add an iso-surface video later this year.

as to plotting in 3D, have you considered
http://www.jzy3d.org/?
It is also based on jogl and has swt bindings, all licensed under BSD.

Cheers,
Nils

Matt