[platform-vision] Platform vision, minutes from October 8 and next meeting

Logistics for our face-to-face meeting at EclipseCon Europe:

--
Where: FMZ (Conference Room 3)
When: Wednesday 10/29 from 13:00 – 16:00

My summary of the vision so far:

--
In three years time, desktop IDEs will continue to be important. Specific themes include support for Java 9, first class Maven and Gradle support, performance and stability improvements, and a proper installer.

In three years time, we will have established a new ecosystem around cloud-based software development tools.

Development teams will be able to to "mix and match" desktop and cloud-based development tools.
--

Our next meeting is at 12 noon EDT today.

Phone numbers

North America 1-866-569-4992
Germany 49-692-2224-6059
France 33-(0)-17-070-8535
UK 0800-033-7806
Switzerland 41-44-580-2115
Sweden 46-85-063-8386
Italy 003-902-3604-8268

Then enter the participant conference extension: 430, then enter pin 4718
Alternatively, SIP clients can call 430@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, then enter pin 4718

Today, I want to focus on three things:

1) Is this vision getting close?
2) Who else (specifically) do we invite to this discussion?
3) Brainstorm our strategy for moving this vision forward.

--

In attendance:

Dani Megert
Martin Lippert

Minutes:

Polyglot work will no be done by the JDT team.

We spoke quite a lot about what it would take to make the JDT work in a shared environment.

The Java indexer needs to be shareable and scaleable; would need to be able to work across multiple workspaces.

Maybe we need something completely new for workspaces. Perhaps a workspace in the cloud. Some of the folks on the dev team in India have a POC using EFS to connect to a workspace in the cloud. Dani sent some slides.

Flux is concerned with communications (including security, login). Security is in the Platform, not the JDT.

One JDT instance/user in the cloud. Does this scale? We don't know (yet).

Dani's vision of the JDT future... Desktop is still popular. Real developers will still use desktop IDEs for real work. Desktop will still be more mature compared to the web.

Java 9/Jigsaw... no JSRs yet, but there is some work in OpenJDK. No real announcements with regard to spec or plans.

We had a short discussion (maybe a bit off topic) regarding the proposed pass by value changes. There will be real performance implications.

Performance has been a bit of a liability for us. Some functionality was lost with the Eclipse 4 change.

Performance tests are being run locally by JDT developers. Editor switching and start up time are bit performance problems that we need to focus attention on.

There is general agreement that Maven will be important. We should invite a representative from m2e to this discussion.

Gradle will be a big deal.

Git is and will continue to be a big deal. We should invite an EGit representative to this discussion.

Installer is important.

--
Wayne Beaton
@waynebeaton