[platform-vision] Platform vision, minutes from October 15 and summary

Logistics for our face-to-face meeting at EclipseCon Europe:

--
Where: FMZ (Conference Room 3)
When: Wednesday 10/29 from 13:00 – 16:00

Mike had some thoughts regarding the vision statement, which I believe wraps up our thoughts nicely:

--
Cloud-based development is becoming a reality, but thirty years of investment is desktop tooling means that it will remain a significant part of developers' solutions for the foreseeable future.

Our vision is to build leading desktop and cloud-based development solutions, but more importantly to offer a seamless development experience across them. Our goal is to ensure that developers will have the ability to build, deploy, and manage their assets using the device, location and platform best suited for the job at hand. To deliver this vision will require new micro-service based architecture.

In the shorter term, the Eclipse platform and related projects needs additional focus and resources on meeting the expectations of Java developers in particular. Quality, performance, out-of-the-box experience, Maven and Gradle support, and close affiliation with new Java releases are all part of the solution.
--

Our next meeting is at 12 noon EDT today.

Phone numbers

North America 1-866-569-4992
Germany 49-692-2224-6059
France 33-(0)-17-070-8535
UK 0800-033-7806
Switzerland 41-44-580-2115
Sweden 46-85-063-8386
Italy 003-902-3604-8268

Then enter the participant conference extension: 430, then enter pin 4718
Alternatively, SIP clients can call 430@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, then enter pin 4718

Today, I want to focus on the following:

1) Are we getting close to having a vision statement that we can live with?
2) Agenda for our face-to-face meeting next week.

Due to a family issue with unfortunate timing, I won't be able to attend EclipseCon Europe. More about this later.

Minutes from our last meeting:

In attendance:

John Arthorne
Martin Lippert
Dani Megert

Focus on the end user; focus on usability.

The cloud eco-system will be one concerned with hosting and extending cloud-based development environments. This is a restatement of earlier discussion that cloud-based development tools will be developed at Eclipse, but that industrial-strength hosting of these tools will be done by the eco-system. The Eclipse Foundation may provide nominal hosting services (along the lines of OrionHub), but "real" development has quality of service, security, and other requirements that are beyond our scope.

Import from Eclipse to Che or vice-versa. Move back and forth between environments.

We got a bit bogged down in a discussion of shared metadata and workspaces. There are several different models of sharing:

Shared workspaces is one option. Can we have a workspace in the cloud that we can connect to from a cloud-based IDE and/or a desktop-based Eclipse IDE. We would then pull project code from Git/SCM into the shared workspace and the developer can decide which tools to use.

Shared project metadata is another. A desktop-based IDE has its own workspace into which the developer clones a project from Git/SCM repository. That project includes some metadata describing how it is managed by the IDE (e.g. the .project file, .settings directory, etc.). That same project can be pulled, along with it's metadata, into a cloud-based development environment. Ideally, the metadata shared between environments. If the metadata is different and we have to maintain two different copies of it, then real sharing is hard (e.g. if the metadata is changed on the desktop, we'd have to be able to detect this and make similar changes to to the cloud metadata).

The desktop has a strong definition of workspace.

Orion tried to avoid having a strong definition of workspace; with Orion, you work with a loose collection of files.

Be more flexible. Don't impose infrastructure.

Interoperate with other tools. Be more tolerant of other tools. Improve flexibility.

Action Items:

Wayne will contact some individuals that we've identified to join this discussion
Wayne will assemble a strawman for a strategy. What do we do this year, next year, and the year that follows?

(Wayne has done none of these things yet).

--

As I said previously, I cannot attend EclipseCon Europe due to a family issue. I will start making arrangements for me to dial into the meeting, but I'm going to need some help from you to make this work:

* I need somebody to lead the discussion; and
* I need somebody to take and then disseminate notes.

Volunteers?

Wayne
--
Wayne Beaton