Re: [platform-vision] Meeting minutes (and more), September 10/2014

There was a request below from Wayne to me asking about the difference of cloud development vs. cloud developer environments.

We have found that it helps people understand what we do quite easily when we make this distinction:

Cloud developer environment:  The technologies, clients and platforms necessary to deliver the services that an individual developer requires during the construction of an application.  While this is a builder, a runner, an editor - it also includes the debugger, plug-ins, and task management components.  In essence, it's all of hte things that a single developer requires pre-commit in order to construct & debug new code while being compliant with their organizations best practices and policies for code construction.

Cloud development: Project- and company- technologies that provide the issue management, source code hosting, continuous integration, and continuous delivery workflow.  It's all of the centrally hosted systems that connect the output of what is produced by the developer in an environment through to deployment of the project onto a PAAS / IAAS.   Continuous development is what connects the outputs of the developer through the company's workflow & systems, to get it ultimately onto the production hosting systems.  It's the post-commit workflow.

When I talk with outsiders about the pre-commit and post-commit concepts, things click really quickly.  The fact that both are in the cloud just makes things snap for people.

Tyler Jewell -- ceo @codenvy.com -- +1 978-884-5355 -- Schedule Appt. -- Blog