I believe that most of us wish to continue contributing to MicroProfile by doing the work ourselves.  Like that there is no gradual decline of MicroProfilers doing the actual work.

We are so proud of MicroProfile's core belief #ByCommunityForCommunity.  Owning it also means that our actions, as a community, ought to support that philosophy.

We get to discuss this topic via open forums  💛 doing so makes MP super strong!

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 9:55 AM John Clingan <jclingan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I like the idea of having an “on-target-budget” of $50-60K as the WG adjusts in size, although it doesn't have to be written into the charter that way. I prefer keeping the minimum of $1,500 for traditional perceived value reasons - if it too low, people won’t perceive value, it encourages participations to get value out of the fee, etc. I would also be OK dropping the $4K down to $3K in support of your point.

On Nov 3, 2021, at 2:46 AM, Steve Millidge (Payara) <steve.millidge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don’t have a problem in principle with reducing fees. Just a point to note smaller fee payers are getting a 20% reduction or zero reduction whereas larger organisations are getting 60% reductions. Shouldn’t the reduction be consistent across the board. If you want an approx 50% reduction just cut all fees by 50%?

Steve

From: microprofile-wg <microprofile-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Summers Pittman
Sent: 02 November 2021 17:50
To: Microprofile WG discussions <microprofile-wg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [microprofile-wg] Proposal: Adjusting 2022 Budget

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 4:36 PM David Blevins <dblevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,,

I'd like to propose we consider reducing the overall MicroProfile budget to something around 50k/year.  Here is a fee structure that could get us there with current membership.

Corporate Revenue
Fees 2021
Fees 2022
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $1 billion
$25,000.00
$10,000.00
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $100 million but less than or equal to $1 billion
$20,000.00
$8,000.00
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $10 million but less than or equal to $100 million
$15,000.00
$6,000.00
Annual Corporate Revenues less than or equal to $10 million
$5,000.00
$4,000.00
Annual Corporate Revenues less than $1 million and < 10 employees
$1,500.00
$1,500.00
Total budget with all current members
$119,500.00
$56,500.00

There are a handful of motivations:

 - We've operated successfully for 5 years without budget
 - We have a 36k surplus we don't know what to do with and 2 months to spend it
 - The budget is a continuous source of conflict.  I sense we'd be overall happier with a more traditional open source "what we need is contributed" style
 - $110k of our 2021 came from Jakarta EE, which is looking at a $250k reduction in 2022 budget; $360k if $110k is again shifted away towards MicroProfile
 - We'll unlikely need or use an 80k to 90k surplus in 2022, this could go to Jakarta EE instead
 - Even at a reduced budget of 56k for MicroProfile 2022 there'll still be $30k available after G&A and Ops costs
 - Any needs above and beyond can be donated or contributed as-needed as has been the case over the last 5 years

We have our own reasons for there to be a lower budget; we don't use what we have and it generates conflict.  Given that and the reduced budget for Jakarta EE, there is an opportunity for a win-win if we get this done quickly while Jakarta EE budget discussions are still open.

Thoughts?

+1 and well said.

If people like this, we'd likely need to get this voted in the next two weeks.

--
David Blevins