|I like the idea of having an “on-target-budget” of $50-60K as the WG adjusts in size, although it doesn't have to be written into the charter that way. I prefer keeping the minimum of $1,500 for traditional perceived value reasons - if it too low, people won’t perceive value, it encourages participations to get value out of the fee, etc. I would also be OK dropping the $4K down to $3K in support of your point.|_______________________________________________microprofile-wg mailing listmicroprofile-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxTo change your delivery options, retrieve your password, or unsubscribe from this list, visithttps://www.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/microprofile-wg I don’t have a problem in principle with reducing fees. Just a point to note smaller fee payers are getting a 20% reduction or zero reduction whereas larger organisations are getting 60% reductions. Shouldn’t the reduction be consistent across the board. If you want an approx 50% reduction just cut all fees by 50%?
I'd like to propose we consider reducing the overall MicroProfile budget to something around 50k/year. Here is a fee structure that could get us there with current membership.
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $1 billion
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $100 million but less than or equal to $1 billion
Annual Corporate Revenues greater than $10 million but less than or equal to $100 million
Annual Corporate Revenues less than or equal to $10 million
Annual Corporate Revenues less than $1 million and < 10 employees
Total budget with all current members
There are a handful of motivations:
- We've operated successfully for 5 years without budget
- We have a 36k surplus we don't know what to do with and 2 months to spend it
- The budget is a continuous source of conflict. I sense we'd be overall happier with a more traditional open source "what we need is contributed" style
- $110k of our 2021 came from Jakarta EE, which is looking at a $250k reduction in 2022 budget; $360k if $110k is again shifted away towards MicroProfile
- We'll unlikely need or use an 80k to 90k surplus in 2022, this could go to Jakarta EE instead
- Even at a reduced budget of 56k for MicroProfile 2022 there'll still be $30k available
after G&A and Ops costs
- Any needs above and beyond can be donated or contributed as-needed as has been the case over the last 5 years
We have our own reasons for there to be a lower budget; we don't use what we have and it generates conflict. Given that and the reduced budget for Jakarta EE, there is an opportunity for a win-win if we get this done quickly while Jakarta EE budget discussions are still open.
If people like this, we'd likely need to get this voted in the next two weeks.