I'd like to propose we consider reducing the overall MicroProfile budget to something around 50k/year. Here is a fee structure that could get us there with current membership.
There are a handful of motivations:
- We've operated successfully for 5 years without budget
- We have a 36k surplus we don't know what to do with and 2 months to spend it
- The budget is a continuous source of conflict. I sense we'd be overall happier with a more traditional open source "what we need is contributed" style
- $110k of our 2021 came from Jakarta EE, which is looking at a $250k reduction in 2022 budget; $360k if $110k is again shifted away towards MicroProfile
- We'll unlikely need or use an 80k to 90k surplus in 2022, this could go to Jakarta EE instead
- Even at a reduced budget of 56k
for MicroProfile 2022 there'll still be $30k available after G&A and Ops costs
- Any needs above and beyond can be donated or contributed as-needed as has been the case over the last 5 years
We have our own reasons for there to be a lower budget; we don't use what we have and it generates conflict. Given that and the reduced budget for Jakarta EE, there is an opportunity for a win-win if we get this
done quickly while Jakarta EE budget discussions are still open.