Re: [mdt-ocl.dev] bug and archive branches

Hi Axel

You really should learn to use EGit; it's actually very useable once you follow Laurent's advice and realize that the History View (which was cosmetic in CVS) is very rich in EGit.

To me the requirement is to have
- active branches for work in progress
- dead branches to avoid losing history
and to minimize the inconvenience downstream caused by not being able to 'remove' the dead branches upstream without permanently deleting them.

Giving dead branches a distinctive name allows them all to be deleted downstream with a select and delete action. This is tolerable until a better solution is found.

I don't see how you propose to facilitate hiding dead branches without manually examining each candidate for hiding. You assume "everyone probably knows on which bug branches he/she is actively working". I certainly don't. I've already lost control of some early branches from when I didn't understand EGit; I'm steadily cleaning up. As project leader I need to see what everyone is working on. Both you and Adolfo appear to have four active branches. Six digit numbers are not very mnemonic, so I doubt that you can remember them all.

    Regards

        Ed Willink