Re: [jdt-dev] "clean up" again

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 7:50 PM <stephan.herrmann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for answers here and others.

I feel we can agree that the JUnit3 -> 4 conversion is different from other mass changes:

* This change is done with close consideration of each individual case rather than mechanically applying some scheme over unseen amounts of code.
* I see a tangible benefit (during development / for reporting etc.), with just few comments:
   - In JDT I never saw anything nearly as bad as what Alex linked (from team.cvs)
   - Once a new contributor realizes that he has issues with a new test method not being picked up, this should be the kind of question that should get a helpful hint from others in very short time. For simple questions like this feel free to ping even in short intervals.
   - This JUnit migration causes significant follow-up work in Object Teams, but I was happy to get helpful explanations from Carsten and thus I did not complain about this.
* Test code is just a tiny little bit less critical than main code. This concerns cleanliness of the git history as well as bugs introduced by mass changes (= only indirectly affecting users, while still affecting adopters).

I think in JDT/UI this particular activity is still ongoing, and I don't object to its completion (I have no idea about the percentage completed?). I hope other committers can agree, too?

For compiler tests, however, I would veto any such change. I'm a bit less decided about other tests in JDT/Core or JDT/Debug, but I feel terminating this activity when JDT/UI is done is a fair compromise, OK?

I tried to not reply here but just think a second about the broader picture - our releng includes JUnit 3/4 and soon 5 tests . There is code launching tests in different way, there is other code aggregating test results and etc. - this all comes at a price and this price is paid by people working so some bits end up released. So SWT tests are moving to JUnit 5 (I do care my interns to be able to work on it right from school). And I *veto* the work for supporting 3 different test technologies/results in platform.releng.  Or I decide that next Tycho won't support JUnit3 tests.
Where would that put the project? I really suggest people to reconsider their attitude as nothing lives in vacuum and we are all interdependent. Thus saying "I would veto any such change" is a recipe for disaster.

Regarding save actions, I second what Jonah said. Actually I think it was a bug to enable any save actions that are not in sync with the existing code.

I hope with this we can tick off two items from the list as being not quite as controversial as some may have felt.
Stephan