Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

Greg Wilkins wrote on 5/14/19 12:58 AM:
> Binary compatibility sounds easy... Specially if it starts off as 1:1. But
> eventually APIs and behaviours will evolve so it will become 1:1.1 or more.
> Then binary compatibility is more difficult and nuanced.
As I said before, we need to think about what requirements we want to have in
general for version-to-version compatibility.

Assuming we introduce a bunch of new/renamed jakarta.* APIs in Jakarta EE 9,
what are the compatibility requirements for those APIs in Jakarta EE 10?  Or
Jakarta EE 14?  When (if ever) do we decide that it's ok if applications written
for the EE 9 jakarta.* APIs fail to work?

The javax -> jakarta transition can be just a special case of the general
problem.  We need to decide what we want the rules to be in the general case and
then consider whether to apply them here.

Back to the top