Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

Bill,

I totally agree that EE8 to EE9 translation is just a special case of the general problem that we've always had version to version.

However because the suggestion is that we have to encode this transition into tools, then it will become a bit more of a concrete promise that it has before.

If the tools are used dynamically rather than statically, we get an ongoing problem as applications can live on without being permanently translated.   But if they are used statically rather than dynamically, we get apps that live on, but for which there is no source code to generate them.

So that's why I think this time we have to be a lot clearer about what we mean by binary compatibility and exactly what we are promising that the tools can and can't do for users.
We will need to define the lifespan of the tools and of the applications that they translate.

Not saying this is impossible... just a task that needs to be done if we want a well managed transition.

cheers

On Tue, 14 May 2019 at 22:07, Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Wilkins wrote on 5/14/19 12:58 AM:
> Binary compatibility sounds easy... Specially if it starts off as 1:1. But
> eventually APIs and behaviours will evolve so it will become 1:1.1 or more.
> Then binary compatibility is more difficult and nuanced.
As I said before, we need to think about what requirements we want to have in
general for version-to-version compatibility.

Assuming we introduce a bunch of new/renamed jakarta.* APIs in Jakarta EE 9,
what are the compatibility requirements for those APIs in Jakarta EE 10?  Or
Jakarta EE 14?  When (if ever) do we decide that it's ok if applications written
for the EE 9 jakarta.* APIs fail to work?

The javax -> jakarta transition can be just a special case of the general
problem.  We need to decide what we want the rules to be in the general case and
then consider whether to apply them here.