Re: [ide-dev] A story of Handly and MelnormeEclipse

Hi Mickael,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions!

Regarding Handly, I think another part of the problem is that the current design makes it difficult to adopt Handly in projects that must maintain backward compatibility with their existing model API. It is possible with the model adaptation facility introduced in Handly 0.4, but it is rather complicated in practice.

However, big changes are coming to Handly 0.5 (Neon time-frame), which will hopefully make it much less invasive with regard to the model API, so even well-established projects could use Handly if they would so like. Please see this thread for details, if you are interested:

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/handly-dev/msg00160.html

My dream is that, eventually, not only DLTK but also the likes of JDT and CDT could benefit from the reusable components and uniformity offered by Handly. Yes, we're aiming that high ;-)

Best regards,
Vladimir