Re: [ide-dev] Cross-platform free Visual Studio

On 3 May 2015, at 16:26, Martin Lippert wrote:

Hey!

From a technical point a view it is quite interesting. As far as I can see, it's implemented in JavaScript and perhaps shares the same code base as
Visual Studio Online. Which is an amazing achievement on its own.

It might share some parts with visual studio online but it is primarily an Atom.io
based editor as far as I can see.

From what I’ve seen and learned the editor is not based on Atom, but on the editor that the team developed for Visual Studio Online Monaco. The bits and pieces that are called “atom” in Visual Studio Code seem to come from the Atom Shell/electron project, to run the Chromium and JavaScript stuff locally as an app.

correct! I was mislead by bad press ;)

Another interesting piece:
It is using a similar idea than Eclipse Flux is using for doing content-assist: they are running the content-assist engine as a service in a separate process. The editor talks to that external process to get content-assist proposals, for example. Nice… :-)

Yup - similar to what we are doing in jboss tools/Tern.java for javascript and what I would like to start doing for Eclipse JSDT too.

/max

Cheers,
-Martin

/max