Re: [epf-dev] Architectural mechanisms - a bit confusing as it stands ?

The requirements discipline in BUP only deals with eliciting and writing requirements, not analyzing them.  It is therefore not Requirements Engineering in that classical sense.  In RUP analysis is done by the designer and not by the system analyst, which created a lot of confusion as you can image, but this is how it was.  However, as there is no analysis in BUP, there is also no need for analysis mechanisms in BUP (which are different beasts than architectural mechanism, although they can help improve developing the right and better architectural mechanisms).

I agree with everything Sigurd said about changing the BUP content.  I also agree with Christoph that creating architectural mechanisms is just one way of getting to the goal.  However, as I understand doing essential and proper architecture work is a key differentiator of BUP against other code-centric approaches.  So the process design decision we need to make is if using mechanisms is just one technique out of many that we capture as guidance or if architecture mechanisms are really driving the process of architecture work and we model them as tasks and artifacts.  Based on my RUP-biased experience I think the latter would be the way to go if we want to make the case to the agile world that this would lead to better results than evolving architecture in the code.

Thanks and best regards,
Peter Haumer.

Rational Software | IBM Software Group
PETER HAUMER, Dr. rer. nat.
RUP Development, Cupertino, CA
Tel/Fax: +1 408 863-8716

Donald Firesmith <dgf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: epf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/27/2006 05:19

Please respond to
Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Eclipse Process Framework Project Developers List <epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [epf-dev] Architectural mechanisms - a bit confusing as it stands        ?

Peter,
I would recommend restricting the term analysis to requirements
engineering, which already has the terms 'requirements analysis' and
analyst.  I strongly recommend keeping the word architecture with
architecture mechanism, architecture style, and architecture pattern to
ensure that the reader understands that we are talking about
architecting rather than requirements.
Don Firesmith