Re: [epf-dev] Architectural mechanisms - a bit confusing as it stands ?

Everyone,
I use architecture style, architecture pattern, and architecture decision. I also use more specialized words in special engineering areas such as safeguard in safety and countermeasure in security.
Don

Sigurd Hopen wrote:

Mark and other architecture freaks ;-)

The concept of Architectural mechanisms isn’t quite as clear as it could, IMO.

This concept is described in the RUP and hence also in the OpenUP’s Architecture Discipline (although the Concept: Design and Implementation Mechanisms is merely a placeholder in OpenUP), in an unnecessarily complex way with analysis, design and implementation mechanisms. I have experienced some confusion when teaching these concepts to new RUPers, simply too many different “mechanisms” architectural mechanisms, analysis mechanisms, design mechanisms, implementation mechanisms, design patterns… A fairly straight forward concept is described as three (or even four if you count the “umbrella”) “artifacts” (or subartifacts of Architecture) as opposed to three states of the same “thing”. _/Architectural/_ mechanism is the important entity here.

Analysis mechanisms are simply the identification & specification of architectural mechanisms (the req. of arch. mech. if you like)

Design mechanisms is the design / model of the architectural mechanism

Implementation mechanisms describe how to realize the arch. mechanism within the constraints of the implementation platform.

So, instead of task “Identify Analysis Mechanisms” I’d like to see it as “Identify and describe architectural mechanisms” – or even “Analyze Architectural Mechanisms”

At a high level, you analyze, design and implement _/architectural mechanisms/_

One extract of the “Concept: Analysis Mechanisms” which highlights my points:

However, as more analysis patterns are established in various domains, the partial or complete instantiation of these in analysis mechanisms will lead to these mechanisms appearing in the upper layers of the architecture.

        * Examples of Analysis Mechanisms *

· * Persistency *

For all classes whose instances may become persistent, we need to identify:

·

· * Granularity * : Range of size of the objects to keep persistent

· * Volume * : Number of objects to keep persistent

· * Duration * : How long does the object typically need to be kept?

· * Retrieval mechanism * : How is a given object uniquely identified and retrieved?

· * Update frequency * : Are the objects more or less constant; are they permanently updated?

· * Reliability * : Shall the objects survive a crash of the process; the processor; or the whole system?

.

The above can hardly be characterized as a mechanism – can it ?? It is a description of important attributes to consider for the Architectural Mechanism called Persistence.

So, what do you all think ? Possible to reposition this without rocking the boat ?

/Sigurd

/Sigurd Hopen

2-Pro Mentor , Norway

+47 90689131