Re: [eclipse-pmc] Should we accept any patches toattractmorecontributors?

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 9:30 AM Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 8:56 AM Szymon Ptaszkiewicz <sptaszkiewicz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I just want to point out that students and newcomers that may or may not become regular contributors or even committers is just one point of view. The other one is that apart from git history that gets broken immediately there is another consequence which comes later - accepting low quality
^^^ as I said in the gerrit - it's fine to reject a patch if there is issue with it but "it will pollute git history" is not an issue with the patch or actually it's an issue with every patch so we should stop doing any change - so please don't change the topic.

or questionable patches causes existing highly skilled committers to leave.

And if one looks at the history of recent breakages we had they are all(at least I can't think of a single breakage created by external contribution non-technical changes in the last few months) caused by us (so called skilled committers) and this is normal! due to the type of issues taken by these people.
Furthermore these breakages are caused (in my opinion) by people trying to delay any changes till the very last moment which eventually leads to any mandatory change that has to be done to be accompanied by tens of others thus destabilizing everything. The sole fact the we see the IDE getting less buggy and speedier with more contributors joining proves that this is the right path and not some elithist, delay till dead of stagnation and other similar strategies.

Example is here: https://www.eclipse.org/lists/eclipse-dev/msg10445.html

Best regards,
Szymon