From:        "Andrey Loskutov" <loskutov@xxxxxx>
To:        pmc <eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        15.11.2018 10:35
Subject:        [eclipse-pmc] Should we accept any patches to attract more        contributors?
Sent by:        eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

Please see discussion on
https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/132436/and also on https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/131015/.
I've rejected patch
https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/132436/with -2 and voted -1 on https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/131015/.

At the end I was asked to bring the issue "how/what the project should value more" to PMC.
I guess Alex wanted to ask is we should not "down vote" patches to have more contributors.

My point on the gerrit was that mass change patches without functional changes (or with questionable changes) are not acceptable because they make code maintenance harder due broken git blame.
I've made this -2 and -1 not because it is a matter of taste from me, which code style is better or not, but because code maintenance is also about understanding the history of the code, which is interrupted forever by such mass changes.

I observe the results of such patches in Platform UI project, which had numerous *non-functional* "code cleanups" behind it and now it is impossible to use git blame on affected code.
So all what I want is just to keep git history clean from non functional mass changes. I do not see how accepting non functional mass changes can attract more people.

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

http://google.com/+AndreyLoskutov